So here it is… It’s my last official day as a thirty-something, and to be honest… it’s a bit odd.
The day started pretty much like any other in the Pritchard household. We arose early and charged through our morning in a flurry of coffee, oatmeal, cereal, hair-brushing, and of course the required guidance from me… then I went on to deal with the kids. Totally kidding… I had already dealt with the kids :D… Please if anyone finds me broken and bleeding anywhere, I was beaten up by the most amazing and beautiful, and of course completely Godly woman ever!
I digress… After getting my wife coffee and getting kids to school, I was off to Crossfit for one of the three weekly torture sessions I subject myself to there. I think that is where the day shifted for me. Perhaps it was the completely obvious difference in my physical ability or the aftermath of being caught looking like I was about to die after the workout, but somewhere in there I started thinking about turning 40 tomorrow (even typing that is just weird) and the lessons that I have learned in the last decade of my life, those slightly-less-than-roaring thirties (growling?) I am going to take a minute or 10 to list them out… some are deep, some are amusing (at least to me). So if you have ever been curious as to what a guy thinks on the eve of his 40th birthday… or if you suffered a 40th birthday and were struck with senility (which I hear can happen) and can’t remember your thoughts… here are mine. Feel free to borrow.
1. The Gospel is the most important bit of information the world has ever received.
2. My wife is without doubt the coolest, most amazing, wonderful, hottest, best friend I’ve ever had.
3. Whew… I finally have an excuse for all this gray hair.
4. I can now admit I am not as quick as I used to be.
5. One can actually hang out with Jesus…it’s called abiding, and it rocks!
6. Where did this hair on my shoulders come from?
7. It’s never too late for a fresh start.
8. Is it too early to start anticipating how cool of a grandpa I’ll be?
9. Ministry is honestly not just a job… it is an adventure (take that Navy)
10. All the things I thought I had to get accomplished by now… life is just as sweet, if not sweeter, without them.
11. That is actually a bald spot starting on the top of my head.. bummer.
12. Manhood is deeply important, and not as cliche as so many people think.
13. Do I really have to start wearing Dockers and polo shirts?
14. Christian sub-culture is weird.
15. Authenticity is definitely worth living by.
16. Humility is of incredible value, and is probably the central character trait of Jesus.
17. Standing on convictions can be costly, but in the end is always worth it.
18. My relationship with my Dr. is about to change dramatically.
19. At whatever age you are, you should be mentored and mentoring someone else.
20. The most significant thing a pastor can do aside from preaching the gospel… is raise people up to perpetuate ministry. That my friends is discipleship.
21. I have never been more thankful for friendship in my life, as I am at this point.
22. Community is not a buzz word… it’s a lifestyle.
23. Talking to my own sons about puberty, sex, and so on… wasn’t bad at all
24. The Bible… freaking awesome.
25. Politics…. riiiiiiigght.
26. I can learn a lot from my children… especially my daughter, who loves to laugh.
27. I promise not to complain about weird ailments starting tomorrow.
28. I believe I am becoming the father I always wanted to have.
29. I actually like “dub step” thanks Gray, for introducing me.
30. All that I need or could ever want is given to me through Jesus and His amazing truth… everything else is just gravy! (but I am blessed to have been given a wonderful marriage to an incredible woman, four amazing kids that I am deeply proud of, a humbling and satisfying career as pastor/shepherd, truly gracious and caring friends, a roof over my head, food on my table… and who could forget the cat.)
Thanks for reading… See you on the other side!! (of 40)